Friday 7 September 2012

Who I am not


What a week it’s been; nothing less than life changing!!

Realisation: In our daily lives, there are so many things that we are told about ourselves & we believe. Whether or not they are true somewhat becomes immaterial. Could this be that we are by nature hungry for validation by others? I don’t know, but what I now know & wish I’d known long ago is that I don’t need anyone to tell me what I am or not. That’s Gods job, & He’s done a great job giving me my identity, so thanks for your opinion, but  please accept that it will by no means sculpt me; don’t expect it to because then you will surely be disappointed.

Someone once said that “if you don’t know yourself, people will tell you who you are”. I fell prey to this for the longest time, unaware. I let people define me & who I was not, and I just lived according to their prescriptions & their definition of me. I have now learnt that no one but God knows who I am because He is the One who made me & He’s the One who knows the purpose for the artwork that I am.
This is just a loud thought, meant to encourage you to seek your identity & validation not from others but from God. 

Most times, people are not meaning ill towards you when they tell you you are this or that, it’s just that they are also trying to figure out the intricacies of the mystery God created you to be. When they find to their dismay that they don’t have the answers, they come up with answers. Mostly misguided & based on human analogies, which are often just mankind’s way to convince that he is in control.  

These people are like a blind man looking for a black cat in a dark room, & they see it. Basically, they will find something to “define” you by, though they don’t know. I suppose no one wants to appear as though they are clueless. But reality is....we are clueless. We can never decipher people,  we may have ideas of some parts of who they might be. So don’t ever allow anyone but God to tell you who you are.

There may be a lot of things I don’t know about who I am, but what I know is what Im not, & that is what YOU say I AM!!

Deuteronomy 29:29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.”

No comments:

Post a Comment